December 2010

December 2010

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Derek Letter 10-29-12



Family,
 
First I'll tell you about my week. I had exchanges with Elder Moore of the Manhattan second ward on Thursday to Friday. It was really fun being with him and to be able to learn from his experience. He leaves for home next Thursday and has been in the field for a while. He is taller than me and from Salt Lake. He got to have President Van Comen as a mission president for a while. This week, it got down to freezing several times. It sure was a cold one. We had the car, fortunately so we got to drive all over. Oh! And last Sunday, I got to drive for the first time in 4 months! It felt sort of strange but I got the hang of it. We alternate days driving now. On Saturday, we had our branch Halloween party. It was PACKED. We had 160 and were expecting about 80. So double the amount. I guess that gives a good number for the amount of people that we potentially could have at the Chirstmas party in December. 

But we had fun because we switched nametags and went to the party as the other missionary. We also ran this one game that was kind of like cake walk but you had to win to get the prize. There were tons of non members there and even a few less-actives. Of course there was a chili cook off. But you know me, I came prepared because we went to McDonald's right before so that I didn't have to eat chili: my worst enemy. Pretty much the entire branch now knows that I despise chili with a burning passion. Also, for branch council yesterday morning, we had to get up early and it was 25 degrees outside. There was ice on the windshield and we got there safely thank goodness. Also, I am in need of my acne medication. Could you please send some more to me? Or maybe send it to the Manhattan Wal-mart pharmacy or something. I also heard that you chatted it up with Sister Chandler about school and cooking. I thought that was cool. I'm glad you two have stuff in common.
 
As for you, that's awesome that Cody is pretty much done with his Eagle project! Sounded like you worked a lot harder for his than you did for mine, haha! My trees are withering away one by one. The toughest part is now the waiting game by getting all of those letters of recomendation. That was the most time consuming for me, I remember. Don't worry you're almost there Cody! I'm glad some people came to the project. I can't remember how many people came to mine. I know it was a lot though because we were in and out of there in like an hour or something like that.
 
Bummer you couldn't get the job. Hopefully something will turn up for you so that you can help support the family. Cody should be able to get a job here pretty soon. Hopefully once the summer comes around he can get searching. Oh, before I forget, tell brother Vandeveer that his office hasn't responded to the letter I sent them back in July. Good luck in school, Mom. I know you'll do great! Thanks for the quote too. It was a good one. Elder Holland has some great quotes in Preach My Gospel too that you should check out.
 
Great job Caitlin in the half marathon! I wouldn't be able to do that now that I'm out of cross country again. Maybe at the end of a bike week I could do one because my legs get so strong and I get more energy by the end of the week.
 
Oh, and to Dad about answering the Catholic question. There's a talk (I don't know who gives it) that talks about why the restoration took place in 1820 and not at another time. That has given me new insight on the great apostasy and what went on during it. I know about the Nicean creed and how people made Christianity believe that there is one God and that's it. I don't know how they got to that conclusion because the bible indicates that there is more than one God.
 
Anyways I always forget to tell you at least one thing in these e-mails so don't be shocked if this isn't enough for you. So that's the point I'm at right now. I can't think of anything else. Well, I love you all and wish you the best in whatever you are doing. Love,
 
Elder Sutherland
 
PS: "Abominable! Do I look abominable to you? Why don't they call me the adorable snowman or the agreeable snow man for crying out loud. I'm a nice guy. Snow cone?"
"Egh"
"No no no no, don't worry. It's lemon. What about you big fella? Snowcone?"
"Did you see the way she...looked at me?"
"Yeah, I understand. It's not easy being banished. Just talk to my buddy, bigfoot. They wrapped up an enormous diaper witb poison ivy. Wore it on his head like a tiara. Called himself king itchy."
...
"Wait, what did you say?"
"Yak's milk. I mean milking a yak isn't a picnic. But once you pick the hairs out, it's very nutritious."

No comments:

Post a Comment