December 2010

December 2010

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Derek Letter #11 9-10-12


Hey family!

It sounds like the whole family had a blast over the weekend with the baptism and everything going on. I do wish I was there but I know that I have work to do out here. Unfortunately, I forgot my backpack at home, so you won't get pictures until next week. Sorry. But since it's P-day I guess that isn't too bad. We only have 1 appointment tonight, so.... But this past week was the complete opposite of the week before. We didn't have many appointments again, but last week, our numbers were still high. This week, our numbers were pretty bad. Only 3 member presents when the standard of excellence is 6 per week. Ohwell. There's always this week. Speaking of my backpack to answer Dad's question, I have worn it everyday and fill it up everyday even if it's not that hot outside. This is like the only day that I have forgotten it on my entire mission.

Ah, that's his name. I couldn't remember President Northcutt's name for some reason. What mission did he preside in Argentina again? I was wondering because an elder in my district got his visa and left about 3 weeks ago to Argentina. So, as for Levi's baptism, we got up at 6 to be ready for Mike to pick us up at 7:30. Unfortunately he never showed up, so we called our branch mission leader (who has been very swamped lately) who went and filled the font. Question: how long does it take to fill your font in the stake center? It takes only 2 hours in our new building. So we got to the church around 9:40 where I got changed and snapped a few pictures before it started at 10. After a talk, we went into the warm font. It only took me once this time as I said the words correctly and did the dunking. He's only 9 so he was as big as Jayce. While I was getting changed, the congregation watched the John Tanner video from the Doctrine and Covenants video library. I love that video so much and really recommend it to watch. We then had some good messages after. Also, we had branch conference at church yesterday with the entire Salina Stake Presidency. Our stake president, President Knapp, gave the lesson in sunday school. He's an institute teacher so he really knows a lot. And boy did I get educated. One thing I learned (the theme was the spirit world and the 3 degrees of glory) was that those who had the opportunity to accept the gospel in this life but reject it (accept it meaning had the opporunity to see, feel, or hear it. Not just missionaries knocking on your door) and accept it in the spirit world can only attain the terrestrial kingdom. I thought that was absolutely fascinating. He also said that for some one to deny the Holy Ghost, they would have to hate Jesus Christ, have held the Melchizidek Priesthood, and want to crucify him again. He gave some other great things but I can't write his entire lesson in this e-mail, haha. Also in sacrament meeting, brother Hancock asked Elder Clare and I to sing in the 10-member choir. We sang "O my father" and I picked up the notes pretty quickly. In no way was it a brother Peterson experience, but it was fun to sing again.

So, Cody took the P-ACT, huh? I remember taking that my Sophomore year. Boy was that an experience. Having James Proudfoot teach me helped so much. Let me give some advice. Don't read all the stories in the literature section, I just skimmed them real quick, looked at a question and if I didn't know it, I just guessed. I guess APES will teach you that too, haha. Who won in Mini-Golf? I remember the days of going to Boomers. That was fun. Caitlin and Billy sold the Mazda? What are they going to do now for a car? I don't know if Billy's 4-runner will hold up that well. Oh, now that it is early September, it is back to Cross Country season. There was a huge XC meet at the Wamego golf course this past Saturday and it made me miss it. But there were teams all the way from Jackson County, Missouri! I could hear the microphone to announce the winners from about a mile away.

So I just got Dad's second e-mail. And Headley has 100 RBI's!!!!???? 27 HR's????!!!!! When did that happen?! Wow, I am very impressed with those numbers. It's good to hear about sports but bad at the same time because not only is it worldly in San Diego, it's like that everywhere, especially here. The plague of immorality and laziness and NFL watching on Sunday is so prevalent. I remember President Hinckley talking about that in one of those Doctrine and Covenants videos how the Sabbath is supposed to be a day of family time not Football time. That's what makes me so mad about RM's at BYU-Idaho. My roomates would fast from 11 PM to 1 PM and made sure they contured their day to watch their favorite team play. I know I sound hypocritical because I was one of those people for a little bit, but the Sabbath is so special to me that it is a day 'APPOINTED unto us to rest from our labors and to pay our devotions unto the most high' (See D&C 59:10, emphasis added). The mission field has already taught me a lot about everything. No wonder it is pretty much a requirement for LDS women to marry RM's. Speaking of that, how did Sarah Leavitt's wedding go a while back? I was very happy for her even though she is only 18. Celestial marriage is what we should all strive to attain. For if we do, we will be able to get the highest degree of exaltation and live with our father in heaven again.

We get the car back today so it should be easier to remember things such as my backpack from now on. Next week we won't be walking anymore because I'm going to get my bike parts today to have Brother Earl, who is a bike repairman, fix it for me. I will use my home card to buy a derailer and a derailer hanger. We will be able to bike around next week when we don't have the car anymore. I kind of like walking but ohwell. So, hey, I didn't get a letter from Grandpa last week. I hope I get it today but I wanted to know how his surgery went from him even though I already heard about it from Dad. Well, I can't think of anything else really. I just want to say that Jayce, I love you a lot buddy. I hope you remember that from now on when you take the sacrament, it's like you're getting baptized again. That spirit should be with you always. try your best not to sin or be a bad boy. I know you're going to be happy and God will bless you as you obey his words. One more thing to Jayson to remember forever: Night night Jayce, have fun sleeping. Love,

Elder Sutherland

PS: "Look at that cute little baby, Diego. Isn't it nice he'll be joining us for breakfast."
"It wouldn't be breakfast without him."
"Those humans have killed our family (or something like that), and used their skins to keep warm. An eye for an eye."
"Let's show those humans what happens when they mess with Sabers."
"Alert the troops. We attack at dawn. And Diego, bring me that baby. Alive. If I want to enjoy my revenge, I want it to be fresh."

Or how about:"They left without me. They do this every year. Why? Doesn't anyone love me. Isn't there anyone who cares about Sid the sloth."
"urrrhh"
"All right, I'll just go by myself. splsshh. Oh...sick. Hey nice, buddy, warn me next time! Oh, geez, oh gross."
"A dandelion, I thought the frost wiped 'em all out."
"All but one." (you know what happens next)

No comments:

Post a Comment