December 2010

December 2010

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Come From Good Stock

This past weekend was such a treat! I flew to Houston to be with family and attend my brother's son Alex' farewell. I couldn't fly all the way to Houston without taking it ALL in! On Friday afternoon I drove from the airport to my brother, Mike and his wife, Rachel's house. I was so lucky that my niece, Jessica was there with her two sweet little girls. We all went out to dinner and had a great time.

This is little Rachel, aka ham in front of the camera. So cute!! (This picture really doesn't do her cuteness justice!)


After we got back from dinner, Mike wanted to be a little more comfortable, so he came out sporting his LSU pajamas. Love it! This is the big-fig-newton pose I think...


This is my favorite picture of Jessica. She may not like it, but I love it. She looks so naturally beautiful and her happiness in being a mother shows through as she holds little Maggie.


Proud Nana and Pop. I can't imagine what it will be like to be a grandparent. Seriously!! I know it will be absolutely wonderful, but I'm not in any hurry.


I was born in and lived in Louisiana for a good portion of my childhood. Cajun food was normal fare at our house. We gathered up what family we could and headed to the Ragin Cajun for dinner on Saturday night. Mom and Dad on the right, Susan and John with Elizabeth in the back, and Wylie and Carla.



Wylie and Carla. Cute couple, don't ya think?


Yep, that is a huge neon-ish crawfish. Go figure.


This was not our meal, but I've eaten this many times. I ordered fried catfish with hushpuppies, which I love. But crawfish would've been a treat, too. I just didn't feel like getting my hands all dirty. I know it looks kind of gross, but it is sure good!


I made us stop at the grocery store on the way home because no visit to Texas would be complete without Blue Bell ice cream. Seriously, you haven't lived until you've had Blue Bell. And they're not paying me to say that!


On Sunday afternoon, little Rachel was chillin out in the backyard with Grandpa and Mike. She actually tried to ride Buttons. And Bonnie (the lab) was being so patient as Rachel chased her around. (I went for a run with Bonnie on Saturday morning, and she is the best dog! I just fell in love with her!)


We kept wondering if she was going to get in there. We had to strip her down to her diaper because she is a mess waiting to happen all the time and she only had one outfit for the day. So, Jess took off the one and only outfit to preserve it. It was the smart thing to do!


One of the highlights of being in Texas was meeting my new (what do I call her?) Jessica's sweet baby Maggie. Oh, she is wonderful! See for yourself!


Love this little one. How big will she be the next time I see her? I don't want to think about it!


On Sunday afternoon after the farewell sacrament meeting, we participated in a tradition they have in their area. The young men and women who are preparing to serve missions participate in a mission prep class for many months preceding their missions. The teacher of the class hosts a huge steak dinner for the departing missionary and his family. Other friends and church members are invited as well. After the meal, Alex shared his testimony and his excitement to be a missionary. There were other testimonies and it was a spiritual feast. This is all of the crew we could round up. Five of the Barrow kids all in one place. That's a big deal. Sure missed David, though.



After a very long and wonderful Sunday, I hung out at Ken and Diane's for a couple of hours to just visit. I love them so much. Alex is ready to go. He enters the MTC tomorrow at noon. He will be a wonderful missionary and he will represent the Lord and his family well.


It was sure a treat to be there. I just wish Mark and the boys could have come. It's just too expensive to fly all of us, and I know we'll be going again for a wedding or another missionary event. I love going home, especially when the weather is nice. I love my family so much and am grateful for the influence they are in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment