December 2010

December 2010

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Derek Letter #7 8-13-12


What's up family!!
 
I can't believe I forgot Caitlin and Billy's anniversary yesterday. I know they wouldn't have noticed but I would've wished myself a happy anniversary or something...I don't know. Speaking of weddings, I forgot to mention that I got Sarah's wedding announcement like 2 weeks ago. It has now hit me how strange this is because she JUST GRADUATED seminary for Pete's sake! Ohwell, it happens. Like to my Mom. Good thing I wasn't alive yet. But I'd like to congratulate her because she seems really happy. I wish I could be there for the sealing in 4 days. Tell me how it goes because I'm sure you'll be there.
 
Sorry I don't have any pictures this week because Mike (the one who recently got baptized...4 times) went to Michigan to take his son, Noah (who has a baptismal date for the 25th), to see his biological mother with his wife, Pam. A couple of weeks ago, they had some friends go to Tennessee to see their baby get born. They were living with Mike before that and when they left (Oh, by the way he paid for their Greyhound ticket and pretty much everything. Mike is really Christlike especially since he's been baptized) they stole their 2 cameras. One digital one like I have and one that costed $1000. So I gave them mine to use for a week. I hope they made good use of it. I think I trust that they will give it back to me, haha! Last week I also forgot to mention that I went on splits with one of the zone leaders, Elder Avenius, and another elder who is going home this week, Elder Gabbittas. We had more people answer the door than normal but I was glad to have Elder Clare back.
 
Sounds like you guys had a good church meeting. Oh, hey did you tell brother Haws and Grandma and Grandpa to keep sending me letters? It's easier for me to do that. About Cody's Eagle, I was the same way; not really motivated. But if I were to do it again, I would be. Just make sure he knows what he's doing on project day. At least I was able to get a majority of the ward out to help, as I know he can do too. Cody? Writing about indexing? Who gave him that talk? I just hope he's glad that it only had to be 5 minutes instead of 15, or 60 like an apostle or somebody who can talk that long. Jayce watched the Light Soldier? AKA dark night? Muy malo, muy malo. Oh, we've been teaching this Spanish family and I can't understand a lot of what they're saying, but that's why we send people to Spanish speaking missions to help fellowship later in life. We hope to see them again tomorrow or tonight depending on what that Spanish speaker is doing. I've been getting more bug bites than I have wanted here in the past few days. I have a total of 5 right now when I usually would have 1 at a time. Also these past few days, 3 women in our branch had babies in 3 days time: 2 on Friday and 1 yesterday. It has been exciting to be able to see them for the first time without huge bellies.
 
Yay! Did you post my address on my page and motivate people to write me? Because the only letters I got last week were those 2 denials to Caitlin. I WANT MAIL! Elder Clare got 2 packages the other day. Oh, actually I got a manila envelope from Sister Beebe and some girls in the PQ2 primary. I got Meghan's flat Stanley and will take pictures with it as soon as I get my camera back. It looks so cute and I can tell they worked hard on it. Tell them I said Hi. Sounds like you are getting a taste of what it is like here in Kansas. Still can't be too bad. Oh, hey last week I met a guy who moved into our branch from Manhattan (since we got a new building, the boundaries changed) named brother Hancock. And he lived in Gilbert, Arizona a while back and had Elder Clare's grandfather as his stake president. Small world huh? Well just wait because it gets smaller. He lived in Mira Mesa about 10 years ago and had President Riding as his bishop! So it was way cool to hear that. Plus, I was wondering who the stake president was back then because I have been straining my mind to think of his name for the past week and can't think of him. I know his counselours were President McPhee and Winter. He was eventually mission president in Argentina, and is the coolest guy ever. Why has the name escaped me?
 
All right I'll answer your questions. I don't really hear from brother Crouch that much even though I live in his house. He seems kind of sensitive about some things just as his wife is. But I know that he went in to get a surgery date to remove the cancer. That's all I know. The new building is AWESOME! Although the new building feeling wore off after only a week because lots of inactives came and left. I feel so blessed to have this building and I shouldn't have taken for granted the Penasquitos stake center. That building is awesome, especially because of it's full sized basketball court. I think that new building feeling will come back as we have the open house this Saturday. I get the 4-6 shift. The building should be dedicated next Sunday. The new building is on Vineyard road in St. George, Kansas. Yeah, we eat up a lot of miles just driving from home into town. It stinks because we are limited on miles. That family lives out in Frankfurd (or Frankfurt, I can't remember) and it is like 30 minutes away. Unfortunately, after seeming really interested, they haven't been answering our calls at all and we have dropped them. We lose the care this week and will not have it as often anymore because after transfers this week, the zone leaders in Manhattan will be getting full-time cars and we'll probably have to walk/bike a whole lot more. Speaking of bikes, I called the mission vehicles guy and he said that he has a pretty nice bike that he could sell me for only $200. So I went to the ATM and withdrew the money from my personal account. You can see it if you go to Chase. I should get the bike by Friday or Saturday. Well I think taht's all I can think of to say right now. I love you all and keep writing me letters! Facebook amigos included. Love,
 
Elder Derek Sutherland
 
PS: "This meeting is officially under order. Let us all say the pledge: 'I am a nice shark. Not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, NOT FOOD!.'"
"Except stinkin' dolphins!"
"Yeah, dolphins they think they're so cute. 'Hey I'm a flippy little dolphin. Look at me I'll flip something for ya.'"
"Okay, that's enough. All right today's lesson is bring a fish friend. Now you all got your friends?"
"Got mine." hmhmhmhmhmhmhm
"Hi there."
"Excellent, Chum. Anchor, how about you?"
"Oh, um I have seemed to have misplaced my, uh, friend. (suck)."
"That's all right. Why don't you go ahead and take one of these for today."
...
"Just start with your name."
"Okay. Hello. My name is Marlin. I'm a clownfish."
"A clownfish!!! REALLY!!!"
"Go on! Tell us a joke!"
"Oh, I love jokes."
"Well, I have one that's pretty good. Um, so there's this mollusk. And it walks up to this sea cucumber. So the mollusk says to this sea cucumber... 'Daddy!!! HELP ME!!' Nemo!"
"HAHA! Nemo! HAHA! I don't get it."
...(I'm not going to type the whole scene. Have Cody recite it for you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment