December 2010

December 2010

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Derek Letter #6




Hey Mom, I don't have much time but I'll try to answer your questions. So that's way fun that you had fun with Jessica, her girls, and Caitlin. I also heard all about high adventure. It sounds like it was a great. Come on Cody. Before you know it you'll be 18 and won't be able to get your Eagle. Besides, it would be nice to get driving experience before your mission. Don't worry, I was scared the first time I drove on a freeway but you'll get used to it. But I'm not you. Do whatever you want. We might actually have another baptism on Jayce's birthday. But we are going to ask him today. So as for the pants, I have 5 dry clean only and 4 washable. I discovered that after I asked you. I don't care if you send more, I've been working with it and I just might wash my dry clean only's in the machine anyways. I can pretty much buy everything here. There's a huge Wal-mart in Manhattan that we buy stuff at every week so if I need anything other than prescription stuff don't worry about it. Yeah, we have an open house on the 18th. Oh, that picture that I sent is the view from where I live. Jealous? We do have a few people that are mean to us. But if they're not interested, that's all they say. Most of the people here are really nice. Yeah, way to go Pad Squad! Any players that have been called up since I left? I remember the starting lineup for opening day was Maybin, Headley, Guzman, Alonso, Hudson, Bartlett, Hundley, Venable, and Stauffer. Of course the Padres released a certain couple of players in that lineup, I just want to know who's been called up besides Grandal. If you want to see my comments about Dallin, see the e-mail I sent to dad. But when he gets there, ask him if he's been here in Wamego. Because there's a train that comes through here everyday. I know it's a coal train but hey, it's a possibility. I love you and I got to go,

Elder Sutherland

PS: "Show them that you're their friend. Be nice."
"I love you."
"Not like that."
"Hello."
"Hey, how are you doing?"
How am I doing?"
"You want to buy some chocolate?"
"Sorry, chocolate contains sugar which turns into bubbling fat. Isn't that right bubble boy?"
"Tee hee. It tickles"
(Sorry that may not have been entirely accurate)


Hey Dad. Thanks for letting me know how the high adventure went. It seemed like fun. Last year's was not fun so I hope it was different and it actually was fun, haha! Yeah I got your letter but I forgot it in the car so I won't type much about it. I really liked reading that though and even if it seemed like it or not, I have been doing my very best to control my anger and frustration about others since sixth grade. I got sent to the counselour's office at Mesa Verde for something I would've done in fifth grade and decided that I would control my emotions. That's why I'm so quiet and not really social now, I think. That's why we have companionship inventory in the field once a week; it is meant to tell your companion about things that bother you in a loving way. Elder Clare and I get along really well so we don't really degrade each other about anything we've noticed.

Michael got the Priesthood!? That's awesome! Wow, I can't believe my little Miky is all grown up. Did he go on the high adventure this year? I really feel sorry about Sister Peterson. Those are times that we really need to focus on being Christlike and be loving even though it's something that really hurts you.

So my normal schedule was sent in an e-mail a couple of weeks ago, but I'll give you the watered down version. I get up at 6:30 (this is all in the missionary handbook if you have one), study from 8-12, eat lunch, go proselyting until 8:45 or so with dinner for an hour at 5 or as late as 6:30. I then go home and have planning at 9:30 and go to bed at 10:30. We go tracting almost every day. Not for an extensive period of time but whenever we have nothing to do and we need to find. The best time to tract is Sunday because everybody is home. I have a car 3 out of 4 weeks at a time. I then walk everywhere because I don't have a bike for that one week. There are no signs of cooling here. Man, Dad you need to give your missionaries some referrals. They can't do any work without the help from the ward. They might eventually be removed because the work is so slow. President Hinckley once said "So many of us think of missionary work as simply tracting. But we all know that there is a better way. That way is through the members of the church."

Dad, I want you to show Dallin these words from the computer as quoted by president Uchtdorf: STOP IT!! Dallin, you NEED to stop doing what you're doing and come back to church. The Lord sees you as his son and even though you didn't serve a mission, he still loves you and you can still help many people come into the gospel. If you could see a talk that I saw while in the MTC, elder Holland said: "Don't even practice the thought of going home." I know you're not on a mission but this same thing applies to activity. Don't even practice the thought of staying away from this church. If Erin is an excuse then bring her into the church. I want you to re-fill your spot at our celestial table. I see lots of people here in Wamego that could've had better lives had they taken the right path and what you are doing is NOT it. For example one guy we are teaching turned down Football scholarships to many large schools so that he could go into construction and be with his friends. Satan has gotten a strong hold on you and I know that with faith in Christ like Alma the younger, you can come out out of this rut and "become as a saint. Submissive, meek, gentle, kind, full of love, willing to submit to all things[...]"(Mosiah 3:19) Don't become like the natural man. For "wickedness NEVER was happiness"(Alma 41:10; emphasis added). Dallin I love you and wish you could hear my voice when I say these things. Please...please follow the counsel of the prophets, your father, and me and repent.

I love you Dad, and this might be the only letter I write to the family this week because I'm waybehind on typing. Please emphasize that last paragraph when you see Dallin again. Love,

Elder Derek Sutherland

PS: Could you please tell everyone that has sent me e-mails (Grandpa, Brother Haws) to please send letters. I have limited time on the computer and want only you and Mom to e-mail me. Sometimes (like today) even that's not enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment